Sunday, March 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddy


Daddy had saved this letter from Mom - written six years ago. We were so lucky to have them as an example of what love really is. She wrote:

"Happy Birthday, Love,

Rachel Minteer asked one time what mature love was. My answer, as usual, was duh!

This year you have shown me in so many ways the meaning of love.

It is not material gifts - okay, you have gifted me with a dish drainer, lawn mower and weed eater.

Love is sitting thru numerous test & doctor's appointments & waiting thru surgeries without complaining.

It is looking at my scarred body & not flinching.

It is cleaning my overnight bag, fixing meals, washing dishes, making the bed, vacuuming, feeding the dog & all the other daily chores.

Without you there wouldn't be four fabulous children & a passel of grands & greats.

But don't get too puffed up. You can still irritate me - you wouldn't iron my pillowcase!

I love you,

Carol"

Happy Birthday, Daddy.

6 comments:

ELHG said...

That is a wonderful letter... and it shows so clearly a love that withstood the tests of time and circumstance. I am so glad someone thought is was important enough to save for a time when others would discover it and appreciate it's loving comments about your Dad. I love him too.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter. They are such great people! I feel so blessed to have such great examples all around me.

mikestribe said...

Thanks for sharing, Just think we are related to them, there is hope for us too.
mikie

The other sister said...

No pressure, Mikie, but you are the great hope. The rest of your siblings would have to get married tomorrow and then live to be in our 90's to make it to 50 years of marriage!!

mikestribe said...

only 20 more to go

mikestribe said...

Help me obi wan your our only hope