Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Missing Mom

I get really emotional around Christmas time. I don't know why - if I knew why, I would fix it. But I get very sentimental, and sometimes I get kind of weepy. Last night I was driving home from work and got very sad because I miss my Mom.

I mentioned "the book." A lot of the recipes in "the book" came from a magazine that Mom sent me a subscription for. It's called Simple and Delicious. She ordered it for me several years ago when I was working, going to school, raising two kids and was trying to figure out what in the world I was going to feed them that wouldn't take hours to fix. I've really enjoyed it, and every year she kept renewing the subscription. The January/February issue would come in December with a note attached to it that said "Someone who thinks a lot of you sent you this subscription. Enjoy." So I stop at the mailbox last night and there is the January/February issue, with the note attached, "someone who thinks a lot you sent you this subscription. Enjoy. Love, Mom."
I had a big boo hoo over it. A really big boo hoo. For quite a while. My absolutely fabulous Daddy keeps renewing the subscription, because that's what Mom would do. And I really appreciate it. And it got the reaction you thought it would, MisterG.

5 comments:

mikestribe said...

Must have something to do with getting older and not being able to hold it in any more, porbably best that it is the eyes that are leaking.
Mikie

The other sister said...

Great, does that mean I'll be in Depends soon?

Brenda said...

i have the same problem, lori. we put up our christmas tree, and i cry because i miss mom. i go to the doctor and i cry because i miss mom. i watch john edward on tv and i cry because i miss mom. it'll be okay.

MisterG said...

You are not alone. Frequently I open a cupboard and find some little reminder staring at me and suddenly the vision becomes blurred.
While there remains a large void, a new chapter is slowly beginning to open. Maybe opening faster than you had expected.
Nothing can fill that big void, maybe just soften the edges a bit.

Unknown said...

Hey me too! I keep finding old things packing for college, unpacking, repacking, and then unpacking again. Plus I won gift cards to Carrabba's, reminds me of her.

And I'm glad it's her eyes leaking too cause she told me to take her out to the desert and shoot her if she has to wear depends again. :).. and I'm not ready to do that just yet.. Plus I don't have a gun.