Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mmmm, meatloaf


I'm making meatloaf today. Mmmmm. It reminded me of two stories:

Jeremy was probably 9, we went to Black-Eyed Pea for dinner. Do you remember Black-Eyed Pea? I used to LOVE it!! Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummmmy!! I think in a former life I was from the South. I don't know how I don't weigh 300 pounds. My favorite things are fried or covered in gravy. But I digress. We go to Black-Eyed Pea for dinner. Jeremy ordered "Mom's Meatloaf". When the waitress brings it, he looks at it - and looks accusingly at me and says, "This isn't like your meatloaf." Like it was MY fault that Black-Eyed Pea didn't make meatloaf like I do! He didn't like it at all. And that secret little part of me went, "Yeah!!! Mine is better, neener neener neener!"

The other story it reminded me of is my brother Mike the Mechanic. He said once, "The best way to get grease out from under your nails after working on a car is to make meatloaf." He was totally kidding . . . . I think. But just in case . . . . I wouldn't recommend the meatloaf at Mikie's. Go for the Roast Turkey or the Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler instead. :)

3 comments:

Brenda said...

That's probably why the Black-Eyed Pea went out of business. They didn't know how to make your meatloaf.

How DO you make meatloaf?

mikestribe said...

I don't think that we have meatloaf anytime in the last 10 or 15 years here,that must be why my nails are still dirty.
and yes anything fried or covered with gravy is good, but anything fried AND covered with gravy is great!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking that I don't remember ever eating meatloaf at our house. I have some kind of mental block that won't allow me to eat a hunk of ground beef unless it's between a hamburger bun.
I miss the Black eyed pea too I loved the chicken fried chicken all covered in that yummy white gravy!! My mouth is watering right now, no wonder I'm not skinny. Oh well better to be happy!!
Dawn